Getting Canadian Citizenship
After you have obtained your permanent residency and fulfilled certain obligations, then you can apply for your Canadian citizenship. Getting Canadian citizenship is a huge event. It is one of the most desirable citizenship’s to get. Among other things, having a Canadian citizenship allows you to travel on a Canadian Passport.
Can A Lawyer Help Me Become a Canadian Citizen?
A lawyer can definitely help you to become a Canadian citizen. Yasmeen Nizam has been helping immigrants obtain their Canadian citizenship for over 10 years. Call today!
Requirements For Canadian Citizenship
To qualify for Canadian citizenship you must have already achieved your permanent resident status. In addition, you must meet the following requirements:
- You have to have been physically actually in Canada for a certain number of days (currently 1460 but talk to a lawyer) in the six (6) years immediately before you apply for citizenship (and these days have to have been AFTER you achieved your permanent residency status), plus
- You have been physically actually in Canada for at least 183 days during any four (4) calendar years that are fully or partly in the six (6) years immediately before you apply for citizenship (and again, these time periods have to have been AFTER you achieved your permanent residency status – talk to a lawyer), plus
- You have met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file income taxes for any four (4) taxation years that are fully or partially within the six (6) years immediately before you apply for citizenship, plus
- That you intend to reside in Canada or plan on working outside Canada in or with (or accompanying certain family members employed by) the Canadian Armed Forces, or the federal or provincial public service (talk to a lawyer), plus
- That you able to speak and understand either English or French (unless you are 65 years of age), and
- That you be able to demonstrate, in either English or French, a certain level of knowledge about Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship. Again, if you are 65 years of age or older, this does not apply.
You must also NOT have any any outstanding terms and conditions regarding your Permanent Residency. There can be other complications if a criminal record or charges are involved. Each case is unique so you need to talk to a lawyer about your individual circumstances.
Canadian Citizenship Test
There is a citizenship test that all applicants between the ages of 14 and 65 have to take. It’s not all that difficult if one prepares by reviewing the free material that is available to help you learn.
Canadian Citizenship Ceremony
A citizenship granting ceremony is a part of the process. This takes place at the end after all the requirements have been met.
Canadian Citizenship Certificate
Prior to 2012 the Government of Canada would give new citizens a wallet sized “citizenship card” and commemorative certificates. After 2012 the cards have been discontinued. What you do instead is apply for a “Citizenship Certificate” which is a 8.5 x 11 inch document. It contains the relevant information including the unique client identifier. Your immigration lawyer can help you with all these matters.
Citizenship Law In Canada
From the Citizenship Act of Canada (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-29)
PART IV – EVIDENCE OF CITIZENSHIP
12. (1) The Minister shall — on application by a person — determine, including by way of an electronic system, whether they are a citizen and, if they are,
(a) subject to any regulations made under paragraph 27(1)(i), issue a certificate of citizenship to them; or
(b) subject to any regulations made under paragraph 27(1)(i) or (i.1), provide them with some other means to establish their citizenship.
(2) After a person acquires citizenship as a result of an application under section 5 or 5.1 or subsection 11(1), the Minister shall
(a) issue a certificate of citizenship to the person; or
(b) provide the person with some other means to establish their citizenship.
If you need to establish your Canadian citizenship, Edmonton immigration lawyer Yasmeen Nizam can help. Call today!