Become an Official Canadian with the Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident (PR) card is your official evidence of being a permanent resident of Canada. As such, a PR card entitles you to be known as a Canadian and leverage on the incentives available to a permanent resident. This wallet-sized plastic card is your proof of identity when you return to Canada from another country.

Where Is the PR Card Used?

Ideally, you should carry the PR card with you at all times because you never know when you may need it.  Most importantly, it is a must to show your PR card once you re-enter Canada from another country.

Should I Apply for PR Card?

Once you have immigrated to Canada as a permanent resident, the CIC will issue the permanent resident card via mail. Hence, you don’t need to apply for a PR card. However, you may apply for the Permanent Resident card if:

  • You were not issued one while immigrating to Canada.
  • Your card is expiring or approaching its expiry date.
  • Your card is damaged, stolen, or lost.

How Do I Become Eligible for the PR Card?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you don’t need a PR card, neither can you have one. Hence, you can only apply for the PR card if:

  • You have a permanent resident status.
  • You are in Canada.
  • You are not asked by the Government of Canada to leave the country.
  • You are not a Canadian citizen.

If you are permanent resident but have been awarded citizenship, then you must return your PR card at the citizenship ceremony.

How Long Does It Take to Get the PR Card?

The processing time depends on the nature of the application. For instance, if you are a new permanent resident in Canada, you will receive the PR card at your mailing address in 2 to 3 months from the time you provided the details. For existing permanent residents who want to renew or replace their PR cards, the process can take slightly longer. The CIC has outlined a framework to expedite the procedure, but it is only applicable to existing permanent residents as of yet.

Can I Get My PR Card Replaced?

Yes, you may get the PR card replaced, and have to follow the same steps you did for getting the PR card initially. For instance, you will have to provide the same documents and recent photographs and pay the $50 fee. Please note that your PR card can only be delivered in Canada. In certain circumstances, you may seek legal assistance to help speed the process.

We offer consultancy, advice, management, and representation for permanent residents in Canada.

Call Edmonton Immigration Lawyer Today!