Express Entry To Canada As A Skilled Worker

Since January 2015, the Canadian Express Entry program is in full effect.  This program allows skilled overseas employees to get entry into Canada on a temporary or permanent basis, depending on the nature of the employment.  Express Entry is the doorway to the Skilled Worker Program.

The Express Entry program is in line with the Government of Canada’s commitment  to improving the economy with skilled workers.

You can now use Come to Canada to determine whether you are eligible for the Express Entry pool.  A few applicants will then be selected from the pool and eventually granted express entry into Canada for employment as skilled workers by way of the Skilled Worker Program.  You should definitely talk to a lawyer before making any application in order to maximize your best chance of success.

What Are the Minimum Requirements For A Skilled Worker?

In terms of work experience:

  • Minimum 1 year (1,560 hours / 30 hours per week) full-time or equal in part-time employment.
  • Paid work.
  • NOC skill type – O, A or B.
  • Should be within last 10 years.
  • At skill type 0, or skill level A or B of NOC.

Your employment must suggest that your duties involved the duties listed in the NOC description.  These are technical matters and legal definitions and you should definitely speak with a lawyer before proceeding to have the best chance of success.

In terms of education and language:

  • Canadian secondary and/or post secondary certification, diploma, degree, etc.
  • Completed foreign certifications.
  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report approved by CIC.
  • Minimum language level in Canadian Language Benchmark.
  • Language test approved by CIC showing desired levels of speaking, reading, listening, and writing.

Note: Include the test results for English or French in your Express Entry Profile. All tests over two years old will be deemed void.

Are There Any Other Requirements?

Yes, in fact once your application is under assessment, your federal Skilled Worker points will be based on the following six factors:

  1. skills in English and/or French
  2. education
  3. work Experience
  4. age
  5. valid Job Offer
  6. adaptability

You should also be able to demonstrate that you have enough funds to support yourself and/or your family once you enter into Canada, unless:

  • You are legally able to work in Canada.
  • Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

In case you are married or otherwise live with a foreign national partner in Canada, and your partner also meets all the requirements, you are eligible to apply for the Express Entry as principal applicant. A common-law partner is anyone who lives with you in conjugal relationship for a minimum period of one year.

Do I Need An Immigration Lawyer For Entry Into Alberta?

The federal Skilled Worker Program is a relatively new program.  The requirements and paperwork are complex and fairly technical in nature and you should definitely have a lawyer help you before proceeding in order to maximize your chance of success.

Call Edmonton Immigration Lawyer Today!